ACL Analytics 12 Release Notes
ACL Analytics 12 introduces a completely new data access capability, improved computational options with the ability to interact with the R and Python programming languages, and new connectivity with third-party reporting applications such as Tableau.
Software release September 2016
- To use the new ACL data connector for Oracle you must install Oracle Instant Client on the computer where ACL is installed.
You need to install the version of Oracle Instant Client that matches your operating system – 64-bit or 32-bit.
- To use the new ACL functions that integrate with the Python or R programming languages, you must install and configure the Python or R executables. Learn more >
- If you intend to use Tableau with the new ACL Connector for Analytics, you can optimize the experience by using an ACL-supplied Tableau datasource connection file (TDC file). Learn more >
- A change made by Microsoft to its Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable Package, an ACL 12 prerequisite, causes the results of some ACL financial functions to be slightly different in this version of ACL.
The change was made by Microsoft to improve computational precision. As a result, rounding in ACL functions such as PMT and FVSCHEDULE now behaves differently.
- The Polish version of ACL is now Unicode-only. Previously it was non-Unicode only.
- "ACL connectors" are a new method for importing data into ACL.
This wide selection of ODBC connectors is native to ACL and supports a range of powerful new import functionality in an easy-to-use visual interface.
With the new capability, you can:
- Access traditional relational databases, "big data" storage systems, and cloud data services
- Experience a simpler, yet more powerful way to access data
- Access data from many more sources
- Streamline data imports by combining source data tables, and filtering data, during the import process
- Use SQL scripts from your IT department to customize data access
- Preview your work before importing the data
- More easily use existing Windows ODBC drivers
Learn more >
As part of this change the older method of accessing ODBC data sources from ACL has been removed from the user interface. It is still available in scripts and from the ACL command line.
Learn more >
- A new set of ACL functions allows ACL script writers to interact with the R and Python programming languages for improved computational options.
From an ACL expression or script you can send ACL data to R or Python for advanced statistical or analytical processing and incorporate the returned results into your ACL work.
- ACL data is now more open. Using the ACL Connector for Analytics, you can directly access ACL tables in popular reporting tools like Tableau, Qlik, Crystal Reports, and MicroStrategy, as well as from Excel. Learn more >
- A new function, FINDMULTI( ), allows you to easily search for multiple terms simultaneously. The existing FIND( ) function is limited to a single search term.
- The new SET DELETE_FILE command allows you to specify in scripts whether source data files are automatically deleted when the associated table layout is deleted.
- The new SAVE TABLELIST command allows you to save a list of all tables in an ACL project to an ACL table or a CSV file.
- The new "Disable auto complete in scripts" option allows you to turn off keyword auto-completion in the Script Editor.
- New Summary Table and Heat Map visualizations have been added to the Visualizer in Analysis Apps.
- Additional options now make importing delimited files easier:
- Import all the fields in a source data table without having to specifying each field individually
- Import all fields as character data, and assign field data types later
- Automatically remove misplaced NUL characters that can cause data misalignment
(ACL interface) Learn more >
(ACL scripting) Learn more >
- New statistical options have been added to the Summarize and Statistics commands, including median, mode, quartiles, and with Summarize, standard deviation on subtotal fields.
The MINIMUM( ) and MAXIMUM( ) functions can now compare multiple values. Previously they were limited to comparing two values.
As well, both functions can now accept datetime values, in addition to numeric values.
- The maximum length of a name for the following ACL project items has been expanded from 31 characters to 64: table layouts, views, scripts, project folders, indexes, and workspaces.
- ScriptHub and ACL have been more tightly integrated, making the import of snippets and scripts smoother.
- Importing data from Result Manager has been improved:
- The data selection dialog box is now resizable.
- Organizations in the dialog box are alphabetized.
- Tables and fields are more clearly organized.
- Including associated comments is now more obvious.
- You now have the option of including the audit trail in the imported data.
- The random method of sample selection in ACL sampling now uses the Mersenne-Twister random number algorithm.
Mersenne-Twister is a widely used random number algorithm and it has better statistical properties than the previous default algorithm. The previous algorithm is still available for backward compatibility with ACL scripts or sampling results created prior to ACL 12.
- ACL 12.0.2 corrects the customer-reported issues listed below:
- Re-running the Sample command with an identical random seed and the Mersenne-Twister algorithm gives different results. (AN-4648)
- Output to screen with European numeric format generates an error message when drilling down. (AN-4640)
- Error message when trying to select tables using the MySQL ODBC driver with the ACL Data Access window. (ADA-642)
- ACL Data Access window timing out before successfully completing an operation. (ADA-657/ADA-660)
- Error message when using the ACL Data Access window to import Oracle FLOAT field type. (ADA-664)
- ACL 12.0.1 corrects the following customer-reported issue:
- The PASSWORD command does not save the password enter by a user. (AN-4622)
If you do not use the PASSWORD command there is no requirement to upgrade from version 12.0 to 12.0.1.
- ACL 12 corrects the customer-reported issues listed below:
- ACL stops working when running the EXPORT to ACLGRC command after running the IMPORT GRC command. (AN-4103)
- The Data Definition Wizard generates an unusable IMPORT XML command if empty fields are imported. (AN-4040)
- Importing database fields with two-part names causes ACL to stop working. (AN-3880)
- ACL stops working when using EXPORT ACLGRC within a GROUP command with IF and ELSE parameters. (AN-3770)
- When linking to new source data on an AX server, the Select File dialog box suggest an incorrect file path. (AN-3512)
- Multiple named filters cannot be run in the Filter text box at the top of the View tab. (AN-3413)
- After changing the List Separator character to a semi-colon, the MATCH function continues to work with comma separators. (AN-3412)
- In the Expression Builder, inserting a field in an expression removes a preceding space. (AN-3368)
- A change to the Default Numeric Format is not applied consistently when outputting results to screen. (AN-3344)
- Classifying on a computed field in a variable length record does not work properly. (AN-3210)
- The same results are generated after changing the Relation key field if the parent table is not closed and reopened. (AN-3153)
- If the Cross-tabulate command generates an error, the command is not usable until ACL is closed and reopened. (AN-3115)
- ACL stops working when exporting a large number of records to JSON. (AN-2473)
- ACL pop-up dialog boxes continue to appear on the primary monitor after the main ACL interface has been moved to a secondary monitor. (AN-1502)
- The FINDMULTI function cannot find blank spaces. (AN-4519)
Workaround: Use the FIND function.
- An ACL table named with the single character "S" cannot be opened. (AN-4482)
Workaround: Change the table name.
- Invalid syntax in the IMPORT DELIMITED command is not detected, and no data is imported, but a script containing the command continues to run. (AN-4462)
- The data preview is blank in the Data Definition Wizard if you import a field that exceeds the maximum field length, and then ACL stops working. (AN-4380)
Workaround: Do not import fields that exceed 32,767 characters (non-Unicode edition) / 16,383 characters (Unicode edition).
- The PYNUMERIC function does not support passing or returning numeric values greater than 2,147,483,647, or less than -2,147,483,648. (AN-4027)
- In the non-Unicode edition of ACL, the RSTRING function does not recognize the ASCII extended character "ƒ" (character code 131). (AN-3952)
- Deactivating ACL Analytics for a user's computer in Launchpad prevents the user from opening ACL or the ACL for Windows launcher, which means the user cannot re-activate the software. (AN-3947)
Workaround: Uninstall and reinstall ACL.
- A table layout is not created if you output Duplicate or Gaps results using a file path that contains a period – for example, folder.name\tablename. (AN-3505)
Workaround: Do not use a file path that contains a period.
- Exporting to JSON using an invalid file path causes ACL to stop working. (AN-3495)
- Summarizing to screen on a field named subtotal, or subtotaling on a field named subtotal, causes ACL to stop working. (AN-3461)
Workaround: Use a different field name.