Managing your assets with Asset Inventory
Asset Inventory is an app in HighBond that helps you manage assets.
What are assets?
Assets represent things that are of value to your organization. Assets can be tangible, like laptops, servers, and software, or they can be intangible, like third-party business relationships, intellectual property, and policies. By tracking your organization's assets, you protect your organization from fraud, theft, compliance issues, and unacceptable risk.
Assets exist in an ecosystem full of not just the assets themselves, but other objects like records, workflows, attributes, and roles. By relating different objects together, you build more meaningful structures and processes that accurately reflect the assets you have and how you should evaluate and track them.
The filing cabinet analogy
The filing cabinet is a popular analogy for understanding assets.
- The filing cabinet is your organization.
- The file drawers are organizational or business units.
- The folders in each drawer are assets.
- The files in each folder are records. Multiple records might be stapled together, reflecting a hierarchy or dependency between records.
- The data written on folders and files are attributes.
- The rules for what happens to each folder and file are workflows.
- The locks and keys needed to access and modify things are roles.
Getting more detailed
The sections below explain more about assets and their various components.